Immediate Vacancy Announcement - Position: Executive Director
The Ethiopian Society of Sociologists, Social Workers and Anthropologists (ESSSWA) was founded in June 1996
as a professional society. It was re-registered at the Charities and Societies Agency in 2009, with the mission and mandate “to enhance the contribution of the disciplines of Sociology, Social Work and Anthropology in the socio-economic development of the country and social wellbeing of its people, through basic and applied research and sharing/ dissemination of research results”. ESSSWA is currently looking for a competent and qualified candidate to fill the Executive Director vacant post. Therefore, interested professionals who fulfill the requirements are hereby invited to apply for the position.
The Executive Director holds the most senior executive position in ESSSWA and is responsible to provide strategic and operational leadership to the organization. Thus, his/her effective coordination, management and leadership role is a critical success factor for realizing the mission and goals of ESSSWA and, thereby, ensuring its growth and development. He/she is expected to build and maintain successful relationship with government and non-government partners and donors. As the person responsible for the overall leadership and management of ESSSWA, the Executive Director is required to possess proven and credible track record with regard to program/project design and management, fund mobilization, human resource management, financial management and networking. He/she will report to the Board of ESSSWA.
Key roles and responsibilities:
Resource Mobilization: Raise funds for the implementation of ESSSWA’s programs and its expansion by partnering with donors and expanding membership base. This includes responsibilities for development of fund-raising strategies, identification of potential funding sources and building relationships, proposal development and securing grants.
Program Management: overall planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects/programs; responsibility for reporting as per government, donor and ESSSWA’s reporting requirements and procedures; and implementation of effective decision-making systems.
Financial and Administrative Management: Provide administrative and financial management oversight consistent with ESSSWA’s organizational policies and procedures, government rules and regulations and donor requirements and procedures.
Human Resource Management: Consistent with ESSSWA’s organizational policies and procedures and Ethiopian laws, develop and manage human resources functions.
Liaison: Build and maintain excellent working relations with relevant donors, government bodies, NGOs, associations, academic and research institutions as well as the private sector as deemed necessary.
Required Qualification & Work Experience:
• Masters Degree or above in Sociology, Social Administration, Social Work or Social Anthropology.
• Ten years or above experience in Senior Management/Leadership position, preferably in the NGO sector or membership organizations.
• Commitment to the missions and visions of ESSSWA.
• Proven track record in Program and Financial management, including budgeting and reporting. Experience in managing large donor projects/programs and funds are of an advantage.
• Demonstrated knowledge of social development policies and programs of Ethiopia.
• Experience in human resource management and ability to build and lead effective team.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English.
• Demonstrated competence in strategic thinking and analytical skill.
• Demonstrated communication and facilitation skills.
• Ability to take initiatives, solve problems and work independently and under stressful conditions.
• Proficiency in basic Microsoft Applications, including, word, excel, statistical software, internet, e-mail, etc.
Salary & benefits: Attractive salary with good benefit packages.
Place of work: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to Regional Chapters, Project/program operational regions and city administrations.
Closing date: Ten days from the first date of this advertisement.
If you meet the stated requirements, please send your non-returnable application dossier containing the followings: Application letter; Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Photocopies of all academic credentials, testimonials and any other supporting documents.
Only candidates meeting the above qualifications and requirements are invited to send their applications and documents to the following addresses:
Submit in person at ESSSWA Office located at
Holy Trinity Theology College Building,
5th Floor, Office No. 502,
Opposite Addis Ababa University Arat Killo Campus
Send it through Post Office at 31130 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted